At Casa Escondida, a Santa Fe area bed and breakfast in Chimayo, we offer our guests the best of both worlds. Although we are located in a secluded, country setting, Casa Escondida ("hidden house") is convenient to historic Santa Fe, picturesque Taos, the ancient ruins of Bandelier National Park, the cultural splendor of Native American pueblos, soothing hot springs, the inspiring landscapes of Abiquiu (Georgia O'Keeffe Country), and many other attractions for splendid day trips and ski outings! By planning an extended stay with us, you will only need to unpack your luggage once during your visit to truly experience the vast, year-round offerings of northern New Mexico.
Our Chimayo, New Mexico B&B is nestled on six acres with views of the awe-inspiring Sangre de Cristo and Jemez Mountains. Our 8 guestrooms offer intimate and comfortable lodging accommodations (all with private baths & cozy robes). Four of our eight rooms are pet friendly. The unique atmosphere of the inn is unlike anything you might experience during a typical hotel stay. You will find that all of our rooms are filled with handpicked antiques and accented in a rustic Southwest style. Some rooms offer amenities such as an antique wood stove, private patio, fireplace, private deck, or oversized bathtub. Architectural elements such as kiva fireplaces, wooden tongue & groove ceilings, Saltillo tile floors, and wooden vigas add to the warmth and rustic charm of Casa Escondida, which is somewhat akin to a Southwestern country inn. Our completely TV-free environment enhances the serenity of your stay.
A full, hot breakfast awaits you each morning and is served in our sunny breakfast room. Linger over a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper before setting off for a day of sightseeing. You can look forward to completing your day with a relaxing soak in our outdoor hot tub.
- Now - March 29th - Enjoy the "winter market" at El Museo Cultural de Santa Fe. It is every weekend. Saturday 8 AM - 3 PM and Sunday 9 AM - 4 PM. Ramble through art, antiques, jewelry, books, textiles and more!
- Now - January 3rd - Enjoy "GLOW: A Winter Lights Event" at the Santa Fe Botanical Garden from 5 PM - 8 PM on Thursdays & Fridays and 5 PM - 9 PM on Saturdays.
- Now - December 31st - You LOVE the food at the Rancho de Chimayo. You will also love the special prices Tuesdays - Fridays (lunch and dinner), in celebration of their 50th anniversary!
- December 18th - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Carols & Lullabies". This concert is holiday music from around the world. 8 PM at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis.
- December 18th - The Santa Fe Women's Ensemble performs "Songs of Peace" at the Loretto Chapel at 7 PM.
- December 19th - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Carols & Lullabies". This concert is holiday music from around the world. 8 PM at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis.
- December 19th & 20th - Come out and enjoy the "Living Nativity" at the First Baptist church on Old Pecos Trail from 6 PM - 9 PM.
- December 19th - 24th - Santa Fe Pro Musica presents "A Baroque Christmas" at 6 PM and 8 PM at the Loretto Chapel.
- December 20th - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Carols & Lullabies". This concert is holiday music from around the world. 8 PM at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis.
- December 20th - The Santa Fe Women's Ensemble performs "Songs of Peace" at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Chapel at 3 PM.
- December 20th & 21st - The Aspen Santa Fe Ballet perform "The Nutcracker" at the Lensic in Santa Fe.
- December 21st - Enjoy the "Holiday Open House" from 1 PM - 4 PM at the New Mexico Museum of Art. Featuring puppet plays, photos with the Santa Claus marionette, art projects, music and refreshments. Its FREE.
- December 21st - Enjoy the menorah lighting on the Santa Fe plaza at 3 PM. This event features music and traditional Hanukkah treats.
- December 22nd - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Carols & Lullabies". This concert is holiday music from around the world. 8 PM at the Cristo Rey Church.
- December 22nd - It's "Hanukkah on Ice" at the Genoveva Chavez Community Center in Santa Fe from 4 PM - 6 PM. Come skate to Hanukkah music, light menorah, enjoy latkes, doughnuts, crafts, games and more. Entry is FREE. Skate rental is $3.
- December 22nd - Its the annual "Solstice Festival" at the Children’s Museum in Santa Fe. Enjoy a faralito labyrinth, drumming circle, storytelling and more!
- December 23rd - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Carols & Lullabies". This concert is holiday music from around the world. 8 PM at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis.
- December 24th - Enjoy a Christmas Eve concert at 5 PM at the Lensic in Santa Fe. Pianist Emily Bear and the Santa Fe Orchestra perform.
- December 24th - Enjoy the wonder of the "Farolito Walk" on Canyon Road from 5:30 PM - 10 PM. The walk is FREE. There is bus service to the walk for $2 (children ride for free).
- December 24th - Nambe Pueblo will be having ceremonial dances following Christmas Eve Mass/ Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo will be having their ceremonial torchlight procession of the Virgin, Vespers and matachines / Picuris Pueblo will be having Christmas celebrations and matachines / Taos Pueblo will be hosting Vespers and the procession of the Virgin Mary with dancers and bonfires (call to confirm).
- December 25th - Jemez Pueblo will host ceremonial Buffalo dances and animal dances / Ohkay Owingeh will have Matachines / Picuris Pueblo will have Matachines / Santa Clara Pueblo will have ceremonial Christmas celebrations and various dances (TBD) / Taos Pueblo will host the Deer Dance or Matachines (call to confirm)
- December 26th - Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo will host their ceremonial Turtle Dance (call to confirm).
- December 26th - Enjoy a "Food and Beer Pairing" at the Espanola location of the Blue Heron Brewery at 7 PM. Tickets are only $15. Buy them now!
- December 27th - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Endings & Beginnings - chilling with VOASIS". 4 PM and 8 PM at The Lodge at Santa Fe.
- December 28th - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Endings & Beginnings - chilling with VOASIS". 4 PM at The Lodge at Santa Fe.
- December 28th - Santa Fe Pro Musica presents "Music for the Royal Fireworks" at 3 PM at the St. Francis Auditorium in Santa Fe.
- December 28th - Picuris Pueblo will host their ceremonial Holy Innocents' Day Children's Dance (call to confirm).
- December 29th - Santa Fe Pro Musica presents "Music for the Royal Fireworks" at 6 PM at the St. Francis Auditorium in Santa Fe.
- December 29th, 30th & 31st - The Santa Fe Desert Chorale presents "Endings & Beginnings - chilling with VOASIS". 8 PM at The Lodge at Santa Fe.
- December 30th - Enjoy the family holiday program at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum from 1 PM - 4 PM. Kids 4 and up can make traditional ornaments, farolitos, cards and flip books. It's FREE!
- December 31st - Enjoy a New Year's concert at the Lensic at 5 PM. The Santa Fe Orchestra and violinist Vadim Gluzman perform.
- December 31st - Taos Ski Valley and Angel Fire invite you to ring in the new year with torchlight parades and a holiday fireworks display.
- January 1st - Picuris Pueblo will host various ceremonial dances / Taos Pueblo and Tesuque Pueblo will host their ceremonial Turtle Dance. Most Pueblos will have various dances and the transfer of the Canes of Authority to new tribal officers (call to confirm).
- January 1st - Watch or partake in the "Las Vegas Polar Bear Plunge" at Storrie Lake State Park. Admission is FREE!
- January 2nd - From 5:30 PM – 7 pm, enjoy the "Free 1st Friday Evening Event" at the New Mexico History Museum. During the free evening, stop in and partake in the procrastinators’ Card-Making Workshop. Use an antique printing press to make a card, then gussy it up with help from fellow crafters.
- January 4th - 14th - It's student days at at Red River Ski area! Students can purchase lift tickets for $37 (reg.$67) and ski equipment rental for $18 (reg. 25)
- January 6th - Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo and Pojoaque Pueblo will celebrate Three Kings' Day (call to confirm).
- January 6th - Taos Pueblo will host their ceremonial Deer Dance or Buffalo Dance (call to confirm).
- January 14th - Take in the brownbag lunch lecture at the New Mexico History Museum at noon. Today's topic is “Films Made in New Mexico: A History”. Film historian Jeff Berg presents. FREE entry for the lecture.
- January 17th - Sipapu Ski Area is offering FREE telemark instruction AND it's also the Happy Hops Hunt where skiers search the mountain for beer cans stuffed with prized (sponsored by Santa Fe Brewing Company).
- January 17th & 18th - It's the "Chama Chile Ski Classic". Enjoy clinics, tours, kids events, chile cook-off, races, costume contest, live music and more!
- January 18th - The Santa Fe Symphony performs the "Winter Dreams" concert at the Lensic in Santa Fe.
- January 23rd - Opening reception at the Museum of Contemporary Native Arts.
- January 25th - Picuris Pueblo celebrates St. Paul's Feast Day (call to confirm).
- January 25th - At 2 pm take in the lecture “History and Mystery: Uncovering the Past in Harvey Houses” at the New Mexico History Museum. Find out what happens when you take on the renovation of a classic Harvey House. Entry is FREE for NM residents.
- February 22nd- March 1st - Yummy! It's "Restaurant Week" in Santa Fe and Taos! This is my favorite week of the year!
- On the 2nd & 4th Tuesday of each month, you can tour the New Mexico Governor’s Residence in Santa Fe for FREE from 1 – 3 PM (1 Mansion Drive). Artwork from the Museum of Art Collections are on view in the public spaces. This is a docent led tour. No reservation needed.
- Visit and tour the Purple Adobe Lavender Farm in Abiquiu, Tuesday - Sunday from April 15th - October 31st. Hourly guided tours are only $5. Self-guided tours are available as well. Visit the Lavender Tea House too.
- Experience an "Intuitive Painting" session! All are welcome, even if you have never picked-up a brush or if you are an artist wanting to energize your work. Unlike regular art classes, there is no emphasis on product or technique...only expressing, awakening and freeing your creativity. Only $80 per 2 1/2 hour session (materials included). Session are done on site at your location. Call Lindy to schedule your session.
- Tour the "Shidoni Foundry & Sculpture Garden". This is an art gallery that represents more than 150 artists as well as, 8 acres of sculpture gardens AND the bronze art foundry. Located in village of Tesuque (just north of Santa Fe).
- Visit the "Glenn Green Galleries and Sculpture Garden" in Tesuque. Located in an exquisite estate. This art compound consists of both an indoor and an outdoor gallery featuring sculptures, paintings, basketry, ceramic and bronze sculptures, jewelry and much more. Stroll the lawns and gardens. Visiting the gallery and the grounds is FREE. Mon – Sat 10 AM – 5 PM.
- Every Saturday at 7 PM, you can experience live flamenco dancers and dinner at El Farol in Santa Fe. Limited to only 40 people. Shows are only $25 per person. Reservations are required for each flamenco show.
- Now – February 15th, 2015 - The International Folk Art Museum in Santa Fe presents "The Wooden Menagerie: A New Mexican Wood Carving Tradition". This is an exhibition touting the Hispano folk carving tradition and its international influence.
- The "Artisans Market" is every Sunday from 10 AM - 4 PM at the Santa Fe Farmers Market (1607 Paseo de Peralta). Local artists and craftspeople from New
Mexico are featured, as well as food artisans, musicians, refreshments and entertainment! It's FREE.
- The "Farmers Market" is very Saturday and Tuesday at the railyard.
- On the last Friday of each month, enjoy the "Last Friday ArtWalk" from 5
- 7 PM. Located in the Railyard Arts District at the Santa Fe Railyard,
this is an exciting world-class contemporary art
experience. The walk consists of ten galleries plus
SITE Santa Fe, which boast the best in international contemporary art.
It is FREE.
- Are you a bird lover? Participate in a FREE guided bird walk at the Randall Davey Audubon Center in Santa Fe. This is offered every Saturday. An experienced birder will lead this easy walk on the grounds of the 135-acre wildlife sanctuary. All skill levels are welcome. Walks start at 8:30 AM and last approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours. No reservation is required. Meet in the parking lot. Binoculars are available. Dress for the weather.
- Would you like to learn more about various aspects of Native Indian art? Then the "Case Trading Post Saturday Lectures" are for you! These FREE lectures are offered at 10:15 AM each Saturday at the the Wheelwright Museum in Santa Fe. A new topic
is presented each week. Refreshments are served.
- The Rancho de Chimayo Restaurant is now open
again and serving their wonderful, traditional New Mexican meals. They are serving 6-days a
week from 11:30 AM - 9 PM (closed on Monday until April). Book a relaxing night with us and treat
yourself to a wonderful meal at the Rancho de Chimayo during your stay.
- Tour the beautiful, historic Randall Davey Home & Studio - Fridays at 2:00 PM. This historic 1800's villa is one of Santa
Fe's oldest and most important adobe structures, which was donated by the Davey family to the National Audubon Society in 1983. Tour the house and art studio and see
Davey's paintings, precious historic furnishings and antique furniture, just as
Randall Davey left them. Tours are $5 for adults. Call to reserve.
- Visit 8 museums AND 6 monuments throughout New Mexico for one low price of only $25 with the New Mexico Culture Pass. Pass is valid for 12 months and provides access to each site one time.
- Visit 5 great museums in Taos for 1 low price! Purchase a combination admission ticket for only $25 (a savings of 60%). This pass will provide admission to the E.L. Blumenschein Home & Museum; La Hacienda de los Martinez; The Harwood Museum; The Millicent Rogers Museum and the Taos Art Museum & Fechin House.Tickets are available at any of these museums or at the Taos Visitors Center.
- Sample some of the many handcrafted wines of New Mexico! There are many wineries in our area. Each one offers winery tours & tastings. We are happy to provide you with a winery map and guide. Guests at Casa Escondida B&B receive 2 wine tastings for the price of 1 at Estrella de Norte Winery.
- Experience historic Santa Fe or Taos on foot or by trolley tour. We are happy to arrange one of these fun and informative guided tours for you.