Casa Escondida is a green bed and breakfast,
and we do our part to enhance the "green" aspect of your
your lodging as an environmentally friendly hotel alternative:
- You will find energy saving, florescent, coil-type light bulbs in almost
every light fixture (both inside and outside) at our bed & breakfast.
- We recycle! Bins are provided for the collection of cans, bottles, plastic,
and paper. We not only recycle what we generate, we also encourage our
guests to utilize our recycling bins as well.
- All of our guestrooms have individual thermostats that allow us to lower
the setting, so that we are able to conserve energy in unoccupied rooms.
- We have invested in front-loading washing machines for our laundry facility.
These units conserve an amazing amount energy, water, and soap in comparison
to traditional top-loading washing machines.
- You will find water-saving, low-flow shower heads in the showers to help
conserve one of our most valuable resources, our water.
- We have made a conscious decision NOT to use individual soaps, shampoos,
and lotions in our guest rooms. The excessive packaging that is
required for individual soaps and shampoos, etc. generates an unbelievable
amount of trash and it is wasteful in terms of the amount of energy and raw
materials that are required for the production of the individual items. We
also have found that individual packaging of soaps and shampoos, etc. generates the unnecessary waste of the actual product. As a means of
conserving all of the above, we use wall-mounted dispensers in our showers
and at our bathroom sinks. We refill these dispensers with quality hand
soap, lotion, shampoo, and body wash.
- We are in an area of the country that is defined as a "high-desert" area.
This means that plants, animals, and people must all survive on an average
rainfall of only 14 inches per year! We re-direct and/or harvest what
little rainwater we get in such a way that it is utilized to water our
trees and flowerbeds.
- All of our landscaping has been done with xeric (low water use) types
plants as well as plants that are native to New Mexico. We have also
selected plants that are food sources for the local wildlife (berry-eating
birds, butterflies, hummingbirds, etc).
- We have installed a variety of species-specific birdhouses throughout the
entire property. This provides suitable nesting boxes for the
cavity-dwelling birds that nest and reproduce in this part of New Mexico.
- We also provide a variety of seed feeders and hummingbird feeders (when in
season) as well as water sources for our local or commuting feathered
We hope that you appreciate these various "green" aspects of your stay.